Annual Drama Club field trip

For several years, the Drama club has been taking field trips to Stratford, Canada. Although it is always to Stratford, it is one of many field trips they take every year.

On September 24, the club members of the Drama club went to the theater festival and got to see four shows. They saw three plays and one musical, including a Shakespeare play and To Kill a Mockingbird. In addition, the students get to do 2 “behind the scenes” activities.

“I got to see classics for the first time,” said Anna Kaszuba, one of the chaperones.

Apart from the shows, the students get to wander around the town and explore local shops. They get to eat lunch wherever they want and do some shopping. The students were well taken care of as they have four chaperones who accompany them everywhere they go and do nightly checks. “Stratford is a wonderful town,” said Maren Prokup (one of the club members).

Even though the students have to pay for the cost, it is rewarding because it includes the four shows, the activities, the hotel room, transportation, and their breakfast and dinner.

“We always learn something new,” said Paula Nowak, the Drama Club sponsor. “They can see what a professional stage looks like and feels like.” It is a very beneficial experience for the students. They get to explore the warehouse where they learn how they make props, costumes, where they keep them, and how they clean them. It is a great experience for those who want to be actors or who want to work backstage. The students get to see the set-up of the show and how everything comes together.

“Hands-on experiences are really important. It’s how you learn best,” said Kaszuba.