Spreading the Valentine’s spirit

While Valentine’s Day may not be the favorite holiday of everyone — cough cough most singles — and some spend it down in the dumps, it turns out that there’s a convenient way to make this holiday one that everyone can enjoy, whether you are a single pringle or taken bacon. It’s actually something that improves all situations: sweets. More specifically, Valentine’s Day cookies. We baked some and passed them out to students to see what the general consensus was.

Like we said, cookies fix everything. None of us remember a situation that wasn’t brightened by the treat, and many students, including sophomore Romi Grover.

“This cookie is absolutely amazing. I mean, I was having a rough day and I get this cookie and just, you know what, everything’s gonna be okay. Well, with Valentine’s Day, I don’t got a boo, so I’m not too excited, but the holiday itself makes me feel happy, especially right now,  because you don’t need a boyfriend or a girlfriend when you can get a cookie,” Grover said.

Fellow sophomore Augie Smith agrees, with Grover, with the pastry also having cheered him up.

“Well, the cookie is very good, it has a nice flavor and I like the sprinkles. I could tell with the heart shaped sprinkles that this had to do with Valentine’s Day. I don’t have a valentine so it’s kind of depressing and I think that people spend too much money on the holiday. I guess this cookie makes me a bit more excited for Valentine’s Day,” Smith said.

Not only can receiving cookies brighten someone’s day and make them more enthusiastic about the holiday, but the act of baking cookies and handing them out to friends and acquaintances helps to make everyone, yes, even the singles, feel more loved and supported, and the givers get to experience the satisfaction of seeing all their friends happy (and sneaking like 10 cookies when no one’s looking). Junior Noreen Roshanali is personally very excited about this aspect of V-day.

“This cookie is really good and it’s so pretty! I’m excited [for Valentine’s Day] and I think it’s really nice that it’s a holiday devoted to spreading love and being kind to others,” Roshanali said.

In essence, cookies fix everything. Brighten up Valentine’s Day by bringing in some freshly baked cookies, and make the days of your friends and peers.

Recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups white sugar

1 cup salted butter

3 egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1/3 cup sprinkles (You can use any kind you want for the specific holiday, but I used hearts for Valentine’s Day)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together butter and sugar until it is nice and creamy. Mix in 1 egg yolk at a time and vanilla extract.  

Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt until cookie dough is completely mixed. Be sure to scrape down the bowl to be sure everything is mixed.  

Then with a spatula, mix in sprinkles until evenly distributed throughout the batter.

Using a medium scoop, form dough balls. Place cookie balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper 2 inches apart from one another. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the surface of each cookies have a cracked like texture. Remove from oven and allow cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

Adapted from: https://savorysweetlife.com/drop-cracked-sugar-cookies/