The RoundUp

• February 12April 28th: Orthodox Easter!

Life on the dangerous side

For most people, biking is commonly known as a summer activity or a faster alternative to walking. However, for my family, biking is our life, or more specifically known as BMX (Bicycle Motocross). It is one of the most exciting sports to watch and to participate in. It can, sometimes, be quite dangerous as one gets more competitive, but the sport, as a whole, it is a complete thrill.

When I said that BMX has taken over my families’ lives, I didn’t mean that lightly. We talk about BMX at dinner, my dad calls his buddies from racing all the time, and I’m constantly talking to my friends about it as well. All of our plans and vacations revolve around where and when races are at. Whenever we go on vacations, in general, it is most likely because there is a big competition; missing a weekend of racing is never an option.

Currently, my family is working on turning our den/office into a bike room. We have to keep all of the race bikes inside, and because we have so many, we had to get rid of the desk and almost everything else in the room. Right now, there are seven bikes in our den and trophies scattered everywhere.

BMX not only affects my family, but it greatly impacts my social life. Like I said before, we can never miss a weekend of racing or practice, so I can’t make plans on Wednesdays, Saturdays, or Sundays, which is okay because the majority of my friends are from BMX. Of course, I have friends from around the school, but during the day, I’m talking to my pals from BMX. It’s funny, both my sister and I talk about BMX so frequently that our friends from school are now close to the people we race with.

It gets a little overwhelming from time to time, and it’s not something you can just do half way. However, once you’re in, you’re in. It’s a huge commitment, yet, it is absolutely my favorite thing to do.