Upcoming Events
  • April 25, 25 & 27 - 12 Angry Jurors, Spring Mainstage Play
  • April 30 - Spring Orchestra Concert
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Molloy’s Many Mantles

Joe Molloy speaks to a colleague in the English department. Molloy has transitioned back to the classroom where he teaches  AP Seminar and junior English classes. Photo by Stephanie Murarous ‘24.
Joe Molloy speaks to a colleague in the English department. Molloy has transitioned back to the classroom where he teaches AP Seminar and junior English classes. Photo by Stephanie Murarous ‘24.

Joseph Molloy has worked in a variety of roles; from administration to teaching to sports. But there is one thing that Molloy feels no matter what role he’s in: a love for Barrington and its people.

Q: Can you explain your experience at BHS & District 220?

A: I don’t have the years exactly right, but I got here in 2004. I taught English for two years and then I was dean. I was dean for two years, then I came back to the classroom. I probably taught for nine years. [After] I was a wellness counselor for two years, and now I’m teaching [again].

Q: Why did you switch in-and-out of the classroom?

A: I liked being the dean a lot. A full time position opened and I applied for it. When the time came, I had to make a decision between going back to the classroom or remaining a dean. I did a lot as a dean, trying to help students with their issues as well as disciplining them.

Q: Have you enjoyed teaching or being in administration more?

A: I really did like being a dean. People think it’s really stressful, and it can be, but I liked working with the students. [But] in the classroom, there’s so much energy, and getting to know students in that way is really fun. You develop some great relationships with students [either way] and so I like both.

Q: What are aspects of your teaching style that you feel are unique?

A: We try to have some fun in the classroom and have some humor. I think it’s really important developing relationships with students and just being there for students and being open to helping. A big part is just being open to getting to know and really enjoying getting to work with them.

Q: What are some of your favorite pastimes?

A: I love riding my bike. [My family] goes up to the mountains in the summer, every summer we go to the Rockies and spend some time there. It’s hard in Chicagoland to be [outdoorsy], but I do enjoy it. I [also] coach basketball and played it in college.

Q: Can you go in detail about your role as a basketball coach?

A: I played at UIC in the early 80s. I’m an assistant coach for the girls varsity team. I [also] coached the sophomore boys for 15 years.

Q: Do you enjoy coaching or teaching more?

A: I think coaching gets the competitive part of me. It really taps into that [winning mentality]. You want to prepare to win, looking at what other teams are doing and trying to prepare for that challenge is really satisfying. Yet teaching is more altruistic in away, where the rewards come from developing good relationships with students seeing them grow and develop.

Q: What’s one aspect of your life that you try to prioritize yourself and advise others to do the same?

A: Balance. Just trying to keep balance, [it] can be hard sometimes balancing responsibilities at home with your job at school. A teacher working in education is very intensive. You are never really done and always have work to bring home, coaching adding on to that. So if you’re coaching, you might be working from 7:45 in the morning to 8:30 at night. Balancing everything and trying to find ways to get some peace in your head, not stressing out or not addressing any anxieties is required of us without losing it.

Q: What’s a recent learning experience you have had?

A: I’ve been reading some books about Buddhism and mindfulness, and I’ve been just trying to apply those. Some of those suggestions and philosophies to my own life are trying to help achieve that balance, [so] it’s not completely chaotic all the time. Trying to get a sense when you’re grounded and actually enjoying moments of your life is [important].

Q: What is your favorite thing about BHS?

A: The people. My colleagues [were great], I was fortunate to be in the English department. It’s just a great group of people, not just teachers, but really great people. When I was dean, I was able to work with a number of staff members and other departments and just really good people. I think the best thing we got going is just the chance to meet with students and work with them as a coach or teacher or dean, or whatever it may be. I think that is the best thing about this place, just really good people.