Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Homecoming Hoorah

Seniors Megan Bergquist, Matthew Vitale and Brady Wright pose for a photo. The three were chosen as this year’s Homecoming Ambassadors. Photo by Samantha Scheinman

Homecoming Ambassadors Megan Bergquist, Matthew Vitale and Brady Wright were crowned on Sept. 22. These three seniors were selected from the ten seniors chosen by the student body and staff.

A few years ago, the Homecoming nomination process was changed.

“We asked all of the teachers to nominate students that they think best exemplify Barrington spirit and are positive role models,” student council sponsor and Spanish teacher Lisa Nardiello said.

Every year, teachers vote for the top twenty students they think best represent the school. Students sometimes don’t even know they are nominated.

“I was very surprised when I was first chosen,” Bergquist said. “I didn’t sign up for anything, so when I saw my name written on the voting form for Homecoming Ambassadors I was shocked.”

After the teachers vote, twenty seniors are chosen all together and then seniors vote for the top ten. From there, the whole student body votes for the top three.

“We noticed that some kids were getting nominated as a joke, and the nominees wouldn’t realize it was a joke,” Spanish teacher Angela Concha said.

Because of this, teachers recently started getting first pick on who they think should be Homecoming Ambassadors.

“It gives the teachers a little more input and then the students are able to vote as well,” Nardiello said.
Another fairly recent switch many students may have noticed is that the titles are no longer Homecoming King and Queen, but Ambassador.

“It was changed to be more inclusive. Getting away from the terms King and Queen just recognizes that there are more people that can be included under the term of Ambassador,” Concha said.

Not only has the terminology changed, but the whole meaning of being an Ambassador has changed as well.

“It used to be just a popularity contest with all the kids. But we also wanted it to be students who were good representatives of the BHS spirit,” Concha said.

All three seniors are involved in many clubs and activities.

“I think I was chosen because I love to be involved in a lot of activities at Barrington High School and I meet many new people through those activities. I am definitely a people-person and love to meet new faces and to be involved,” Bergquist said.

Homecoming Ambassadors, once nominated, get to play fun Homecoming games like musical chairs, watch the Homecoming football game on the field, and be crowned at half time and be in the Homecoming parade.

“It was overall a very fun experience,” Bergquist said. “I had so much fun riding in the parade and seeing all of my friends and family. I am very grateful for this experience and for all the memories made! The best part was definitely all the little girls at the parade who said they thought I was ‘A real princess.’ They made my heart melt.”