Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Behind the Scenes with Weston Mui

Freshman Weston Mui poses with the camera that he uses for filming. Mui has won several awards from his filmmaking hobby. Photo by Alexander Brudvik, ’27.

From directing to filming to everything in between, freshman Weston Mui has found a passion in creating his own films and short skits.
At 8 years-old, Mui started making his own videos. Currently, he has over 100 skits and around 10 legitimate short films.
“I’ve always kind of been interested in it, but when I was younger, I would use my parents’ camera and just make videos,” Mui said. “So as I grew older, I just started making my own skits.”
By creating films, it’s easy for Mui to get inspired by big-time directors and their films.
“I’m really inspired by Christopher Nolan who made Interstellar and Inception,” Mui said.

I’ve always kind of been interested in [filmmaking], but when I was younger, I would use my parents’ camera and just make videos. So as I grew older, I just started making my own skits.

— Weston Mui, '27

To get further inspiration, Mui often goes to learn from other sets.
“I just really like going onto other sets and learning from other people that have more experience,” Mui said. “They can help you grow and you can use that information that you’ve learned and help expand your films.”
In making his own films, Mui does just about everything himself; directing, filming, editing and scripting all on his own. He also has to create his own cast.
“I usually ask my friends if they’re available to film something but like, if I’m submitting to a film festival, I’ll either ask some of my close friends or go through an agency and get some other people,” Mui said.
Yet creating a film alone makes some struggles inevitable.
“Since I write my scripts, it’s getting over that, like, writer’s block, and also scheduling,” Mui said.
Mui also collaborates with other student filmmakers.
“My friends like making movies too. And I learn from them whenever I’m working with them, and we teach each other different things and help each other grow,” Mui said. “We’ve made a couple of short films together like “The Wish,” which was one that we submitted to Google [Film Festival] and some other Google stuff, like “A Film about a Box,” and other skits and stuff.”
After finishing films, Mui participates in film festivals and competitions, such as the Google Film Festival, where he has won three awards. In addition to these, Mui was a finalist in the Elgin Film Festival and a quarter-finalist in the Swiss International Film Festival.

Video courtesy of Weston Mui, '27

In the future, Mui hopes to become a professional director, creating and writing his own movies. For now, Mui continues to make films, learn from his mistakes and share that knowledge with any aspiring filmmakers.
“Don’t be afraid to fail, because it takes a long time for you to actually get comfortable with it. There’s always going to be things you don’t know; I started in iMovie and I went to DaVinci Resolve studio [an editing software] and I’m still confused. So just keep positive about it and don’t stop for a little mistake or something,” Mui said.
Mui has a YouTube channel, featuring various films and other creations he’s made, linked here.