Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Be Kind to Your Mind

Photo from Openclipart.
Photo from Openclipart.

We’ve all heard of increasingly young kids doing insane 12-step skincare routines and dubbing it “self-care”. However, you don’t need to do all of that to feel like you’re taking care of yourself.

Self care is immensely important. Mental and physical health are being compromised when you don’t take the time to do things for yourself and take care of yourself. This is why taking even small amounts of time in a day to spend on self care can uplift moods, combat burn-out and stress, and result in increased productivity.

Skincare routine

Those 12-year olds may not be entirely unfounded though. Sometimes a splash of water to the face is just what you need to feel refreshed. When life gets busy it’s easy to stop prioritizing yourself and your seemingly trivial skincare routine. But often it can be just what you need to get back on track and feel like yourself again.

Make yourself a warm cup of tea or coffee.

This may seem like a small act, but an action like this (familiar or not) can certainly be soothing. There’s many things you can do while sipping at your cup- be it journaling, doing gratitude exercises, or even just deep breathing- these can give a reset to your brain and deliver the rest it needs.

Listen to some calming music

When overwhelmed it can really help to focus on one thing at a time or not do anything at all for just a few minutes. A great way to do this is simply turning on a song. While it plays in the background, focusing on a single goal or task helps you get back on track and reorient. Still, it may be better to focus on the music itself. Just letting yourself think about individual notes or nothing at all can be rejuvenating in itself.

Go outside and run or walk

I find that in times of great stress, running or taking a brisk walk can be immensely helpful. Fresh air always clears your mind and gives you a new perspective. Looking at nature can often uplift your mood or brighten your day (literally).

Declutter/clean your room

When living a hectic life it’s easy for your living space to build up with clutter. Not only is cleaning or organizing a break from life and your devices, but it enhances your environment and diminishes distractions. Once you get started it’s also easy to enter a “autopilot” headspace where you don’t overthink and just focus on what’s at hand. This can be a refreshing break and improve mood and mental health.