The RoundUp

• November 2TBA Girls V- Volleyball

Current events in the US? Hear from Grace

Grace Tripathy, Online Features Editor

Where is the United States educational system on the outstanding-failure scale compared to the rest of the world?

Public education could use some reform because its curriculum is currently based on The Industrial Revolution. We, as a country, are now in a technological revolution and I would like our schools to reflect this in their current affairs.

In my opinion , the United States educational systems are not the best compared to worldwide education, but that doesn’t mean the U.S. is failing. It’s a fact that North Korea, China, Singapore, India, etc. have better educational systems, but does that mean that U.S. educational systems are failing?

The only real way we can compare the U.S. system with the rest of the world is the PISA test. This test shows that wealthy schools in the U.S. rank in the top of the world and schools with poor students rank with third world countries. Most other countries have a more uniform outcome than we do in the US. It’s true that students from the U.S. don’t score as well on the PISA international test. In fact, ever since the first attempt at international test comparisons (not an easy thing to attempt), the U.S. has always been roughly in the middle of the pack.

The U.S. has led the world as a dominant economy and dominant force in innovation. I don’t think standardized tests mean much at all and the U.S. educational system is mediocre compared to the rest of the world, according to an international ranking of OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) and countries.

Hence, the U.S. system continues to have superb results in overall national impact. So back to the question of why other countries have better educational systems than the U.S. and whether that really means the U.S. educational systems are failing. Umm, no! Some might say failure, but the facts state that U.S. educational systems are roughly in between outstanding and failure and increasing little by little.

Hear from Tiegan!

The Student News Site of Barrington High School