Madi’s declassified survival guide: how to make someone’s day

Madi Scariano, Print Sports Editor

Recently, I learned that only 33% of Americans consider themselves to be happy in their lives. When I discovered this, I was (ironically) instantly depressed that such a small amount of people are happy. I know that happiness is a relative term, and happiness comes and goes in waves, but to discover that so many are consistently unhappy is something that should not be true.

Now knowing this fact, I challenge all of you to change it. Change it in that you begin to make other people happier. In order to do this, you don’t have to go all out and do crazy things. Some of the smallest things can change someone’s day from being a total wreck to really great.

One way to make someone’s day is by merely giving them a genuine compliment. Don’t compliment someone because you want a compliment back, but rather do it for them and make it specific to them. Something like this goes a long way. In my AP Literature and Composition class, we pass out “Wednesday Wows” each week. These “Wows” are just notes that are given to people in an effort to support them and acknowledge something they are doing well. If you were to say something nice to a different person every day, think of all the smiles you would bring.

Another way you can make someone’s day is by offering your help or just being there when someone needs a friend. If you see someone sitting alone, ask if you can sit with them. If you see someone struggling to carry all the things in their hands, offer to help them take things. If you see that someone looks upset, provide a friendly ear to talk to. I know all of this probably sounds cheesy, and it’s probably not the first time you heard it before either, but I believe that if you ignore what other people think and act genuinely to others, that it will make a difference in someone’s life.

Acting this way doesn’t have to stay within the high school, however. If you’re in a drive-through, offer to pay for the person behind you. If you’re at a store, offer to let someone cut in front of you. If you’re on public transportation, be willing to move and offer your seat. These small acts of kindness will not only bring joy to another person, but it may inspire them to start doing their own acts of kindness. Ultimately, this is a chain reaction and if we all come together to bring up that 33% of Americans that are unhappy, we will see real results.