Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Freshman Spotlight Performance? What’s that?

Evie Webber, Ava Lutsi, Sofia Stern, Jacquelyn Hoffmann, Dylan Murphy, Eden Ellison, Georgiana Daughton, Lily Sehnert, Aanya Pareek, and Mia Harshman pose for a photo before last year’s Freshman Spotlight Performance.

Choir director Brandon Pemberton will direct the Freshmen Spotlight Performance on Oct. 5 and Oct. 6. The fine arts talent show for freshmen takes place in the Black Box Theater and will involve 21 participants.

“The performance is like a variety show,” Pemberton said. “It’s not a typical music concert or a theatrical production. The department started the Spotlight Performance because this is a big school that’s very competitive in the art programs. We wanted to give freshmen an opportunity to perform and have their own feature.”

The Freshman Spotlight Performance may be a variety show, but many of the acts involve mainstream art forms such as singing, the main attraction.

“While many participants are singers, we always have a variety of talent. Some kids act, dance, or play instruments for their performance,” Pemberton said.
Although the show has not happened yet, Pemberton is confident that based on past years the show will be a hit and the audience will leave satisfied.

“The show will take place in the Black Box Theater, instead of in the auditorium,” Pemberton said. “Because the Black Box is so much smaller, it always feels like a very warm, supportive space. The audience of our Spotlight Performances usually includes parents, family members and upperclassmen mentors. You can genuinely feel that the audience wants the performance to be successful, which changes the experience a little bit.”