Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

“Love Lights the Sky” concert briefing

Michael Vargas practices music for the upcoming “Love Lights the Sky” concert. The concert features acts from all five curricular choirs. Photo by Alana Zink, ’27

All five curricular choirs will perform the upcoming concert “Love Lights the Sky” in the auditorium from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sept. 28.

The songs for the “Love Lights the Sky”, and the overall theme, is hinted at in the name according to Brandon Pemberton, the choir director.

“I’m hoping that the audience will notice that there are themes that go through it that are related to texts about the sky, or flight or the sun. And the whole idea is that the texts are to inspire people to dream big, to have large aspirations,” Pemberton said.

The theme defines many of the songs in the concert, including songs like “The Sun Never Says” and “Unclouded Day.”

“I think the show altogether [is good], especially the song, Unclouded Day, that all the choirs are gonna sing together. That’s at the end of the concert. It’s a really fun one to look forward to,” senior Kettie Olsen said.

There are a variety of appeals for why someone should see the concert.

“I think it’s just so beautiful when all the harmonies come together. And I’m a big fan of music, and I think anybody who’s a fan of music and has a very diverse music taste would enjoy this concert because there’s a lot of different styles of music,” Olsen said.

And with the different styles of music, comes the different meanings, according to sophomore Mira Upadhyay.

“The songs we’re singing in the concert, [they have] very deep meanings behind the lyrics. So I think it’s important [that], if you do come, not only to enjoy the music and stuff, but to think about the deeper meaning of each of the songs, and think about what it’s really talking about and how that can apply to you,” Upadhyay said.

The choir students have been working on this concert since the start of the school year.

The songs we’re singing in the concert, [they have] very deep meanings behind the lyrics. So I think it’s important [that], if you do come, not only to enjoy the music and stuff, but to think about the deeper meaning of each of the songs, and think about what it’s really talking about and how that can apply to you.

— Mira Upadhyay, '26

“Because this concert comes so fast, like week five or six and then we’re in, so I guess maybe five weeks I would say,” Pemberton said.

Along with the fact that they started at the beginning of the school year, there were a lot of other tasks that went into the success of the concert.

“There’s other things that we have to do to get going and get the ball rolling with the school year. So it hasn’t meant a whole lot of rehearsal days, but they’ve done a really nice job putting the concert together and we knew that this concert was going to come quickly in the year, so we tried to hit the ground running as fast as we could,” Pemberton said.

• Photos by Alana Zink, ’27

And coming with this fast and first concert, comes the rest of the expected concerts.

“We do four curricular concerts a year, so basically one each quarter. So we do fall, a holiday concert in December, March, and in May we do a Spring concert,” Pemberton said.

For more information, visit the Barrington High School Website. Tickets for this upcoming concert and future concerts will be available through The Barrington High School Box Office Website.