Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

So… you live in the suburbs

Four uniquely suburban things to do if you’re sick of haunting your local Target.

So, you live in the Illinois suburbs. Laugh out loud. You live just far enough away from Chicago where you can’t totally participate in the city culture. So, what do you do for fun

If you find yourself pondering this question late into the night, you’ve stumbled across the right article. Read on for a list of suburbia-exclusive, Midwestern things to do for real, true fun!

Mitsuwa Marketplace:

100 E Algonquin Rd, Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Yes, it’s a grocery store. But really, it’s so much more. This Japanese marketplace does sell grocery items, but also offers a wide variety of small restaurants selling sushi, bakery items, udon, chocolates and more. From personal experience, I can promise the noodles are the perfect umami flavor, rich with Asian spices. It’s the best Japanese food around for not-too-ridiculous prices. The store also has an in-store books and stationery store, called “Books Kinokuniya,” and a hair salon, called “Arukas Hair Resort.” (As you might guess, it’s sort of the whole deal.) The stationery here is as pretty as stationery gets — think soft, pastel highlighters and cat-themed pencil toppers. So, to cure your boredom, go grocery shopping.

Deer Grove Forest Preserve:

W Dundee Rd, Palatine, IL 60067

Did you know Deer Grove is the county’s first forest preserve, per the Forest Preserves of Cook County website? And, before you yell at me for telling you to go look at trees, hear me out. Running has grown in popularity recently — something that World Athletics attributes to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you’re one of the many afflicted by the running fever, haul a friend out to the preserve and go for a crisp, outdoor run. I know I will. Think of the sights you’ll see! No gym treadmill can match sighting a real deer galloping past you as you race to your favorite running song. If you’re not one for that heart-rate spiking exercise, consider walking, hiking — there are dirt paths cut through the forest themselves — or volunteering (I know you want those hours). As it starts to get chillier, seek out designated lakes for ice skating fun.

Pinot’s Palette:

100 W Higgins Rd Suite H – 80, South Barrington, IL 60010

Depending on who you are, Pinot’s Palette may or may not be a humbling experience. Here, you’re taken through the steps of a painting as a group, recreating it as you go. It’s a social event complete with food, drinks, a paint palette and your friends and family. If you’re not feeling too talk-y, you can lose yourself in brushstrokes and vibrant acrylic colors. If you are, get ready to chuckle at the art you and your friends produce. You can pick from a large variety of pictures to recreate: a Bob-Ross-ian landscape, a silly furry friend, or art that speaks to the current season. As I’m sitting here perusing their website, I’m coming across a lot of snowy gnomes and I can feel my creative side firing up. It’s a super fun experience… unless you’re a horrible artist, in which case it’s still super fun except for when your friends laugh at your acrylic golden retriever. I speak from experience.

Dunn Museum:

1899 W Winchester Rd, Libertyville, IL 60048

What’s so great about Illinois, anyway? Hint: It’s the Dryptosaurus. Well, it was the Dryptosaurus… he doesn’t exist anymore. However, if you’re up for a drive, consider the prehistoric-themed Dunn Museum! Visit the Prehistoric Lake County exhibit to explore what our suburban area looked like millions of years ago. I’m looking forward to connecting with history and our state as I view the museum’s oldest artifact, a fossil rock about 420 million years old. That’s like, really old. For you hands-on history nerds, get excited to help excavate an ice age dig site. Let me say that again: an ice age dig site. “The First People” exhibition teaches museum goers about the Native Americans of Lake County, whose stories date back 12,000 years (and move forward today). Participants will explore an authentic wigwam reproduction informed by local tribe members and meet Native American who presently live in Lake County. Of course, remember to examine and learn about our very own Dryptosaurus. We can’t forget about him. 

Those are just the suburban landmarks piquing my interest in the moment. Because Illinois is absolutely booming with cool activities, I know I’ll totally find more soon.