Upcoming Events
  • April 25, 25 & 27 - 12 Angry Jurors, Spring Mainstage Play
  • April 30 - Spring Orchestra Concert
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Galentine’s Day

Illustration by Elizabeth Ewalt, ’25

Valentine’s Day is a day of love and joy, most commonly spent with a partner. Those without that special person don’t have to miss out on the festivities. Instead of feeling down, surround yourself with friends and participate in the unconventional festivities of Galentine’s Day.
Decorating is arguably the most important part of Galentine’s Day. The feel and theme of the party is very important, it shouldn’t feel like a regular party, it needs a touch of femininity and lots of pink. Bows and ribbons are cheap and will make almost anything cuter, you can tie them on cups, balloons, utensils or hang them up as decorations. As for small snacks, strawberries, heart candies and white chocolate covered pretzels not only taste good but will also look great on display.
Games are essential for Galentine’s Day, one idea for a game is putting a twist on the tradition of gift giving. A White Elephant is an easy way to make gift giving more interactive and light hearted. You don’t need to go all out for the presents, some ideas could be stuffed animals, chocolates, gift cards and more. Each person only brings one gift making it much cheaper than buying all your friends something. You can make it silly by wrapping the gift as something totally different or by putting a small present inside a big box. T-shirt painting is another cheap and fun activity, the iconic I heart blank T-shirts are easy to make and personalized to each of your friends. All you need is either some paints or paint markers and write down what you want to say.
A must have on the Galentine’s Day checklist is a specialized cake or desserts. Whether you go out and buy a cake or make one from scratch, make sure to use icing to write Happy Galentine’s day on top or something funny and unconventional like love is overrated. You might want to have a different option than cake like strawberry cookies. These cookies require very little effort to make, simply add strawberry cake mix, baking powder, eggs. Vegetable oil and white chocolate chips to a bowl. Mix well and bake at three hundred fifty degrees fahrenheit until done. The cookies should come out with a nice pink color perfect for the Galentine’s Day celebration.
Make this Valentine’s Day more special by hanging out with friends and celebrating being single together.