Upcoming Events
  • May 2 — Spring Band Concert
  • May 6-17 — AP Testing
  • May 9 — Senior Showcase
  • May 13 — SPURS Appeal Deadline
  • May 15 — Decision Day
  • May 18 — Prom
The Student News Site of Barrington High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

An artistic exposition displays mannequins for the International Day against Domestic Violence. Photo courtesy of Mika Baumeister via Unsplash.
"Does it count if I said 'Yes?'"
Cindy Yang, Daniel Pashkow, and Alana ZinkPublished May 1, 2024

“Yes” is a word often used to agree, or give consent, to something. But what happens when it’s not freely given? And how do you know the...

Sophomore Anshul Nadendla, senior Anna Gustafson, junior Sarah Fitzgerald, seniors Emily Won, Danny Pashkow, Kyra Sarantapolous and Neha Doppalapudi (from left to right) pose in front of an IHSA banner at the Heartland Community College gym. They began competing at 9:30 a.m. and ended at 1:00 p.m. Photo by Laura Minerva.
Barrington journalists place eighth at state competition
Daniel Pashkow and Neha DoppalapudiPublished April 26, 2024

After competing at the sectional competition earlier this month, nine Barrington journalists progressed to compete at the state level in Bloomington,...

(From left to right) Scout Storms, ‘25, Kaleigh Burns, ‘24, Abby Lewis, ‘26 and Mia Sirois, ‘27 sprint to the line before the start of their race. The four distance runners finished eleventh in the 4x1 mile relay. Photo courtesy of John Storms.
The Fastest Party on the Planet: BHS Girls Compete at New Balance Nationals Indoor
Sabrina Roach, Zoey Watson, and Casey SwartPublished April 24, 2024

As distance runners, Mia Sirois, Abby Lewis, Scout Storms and Kaleigh Burns are no strangers to running a mile. With Lewis, Storms and Burns...

Who wants Watermelon?
Who wants Watermelon?
Kaitlyn Witas, A&E Editor • Published April 23, 2024

Sitting in school for nearly 7 hours a day 5 days a week can catch up to students, especially for those without lunch hours. By the time you’ve...

(From left to right) Scout Storms, ‘25, Kaleigh Burns, ‘24, Abby Lewis, ‘26 and Mia Sirois, ‘27 sprint to the line before the start of their race. The four distance runners finished eleventh in the 4×1 mile relay. Photo courtesy of John Storms.

As distance runners, Mia Sirois, Abby Lewis, Scout Storms and Kaleigh Burns are no strangers to running a mile. With Lewis, Storms and Burns state being runner-ups in the 4x800m relay (and freshman Sirois a stand-out middle school relayer), they are not unfamiliar with running relays. But at New Balance Nationals Indoor on March 7, the four ran the two events combined for the first time: one, 20-minute-long relay on one of the world’s biggest stages.New Balance Nationals Indoor, held in Boston, Mass., is one of the premier high school and middle school track meets in the nation. Harralled as the “fastest party on the planet,” the best track athletes in the United States fought to qualify for events. Distances ranged from the 60m sprint (lasting less than 10 seconds) to the BHS girls’ 4×1 mile (lasting 120 times as long).
“It was definitely strange,” Lewis said. “It was such a long event, and I have never had to hold a baton for a full mile.”

Not only was running the event a feat (a daunting 8 laps around the mini 200m track), but for anchor (last) runner Storms, waiting around was just as difficult.

“Waiting for my leg was definitely hard,” Storms said. “And even when I was running, keeping track of the laps was quite difficult. It was definitely a little weird.”

After the relay, Storms had an even longer wait to compete in her next two events, which were scheduled on the two following days. The 2023 XC state champion tripled in the 800m, 1600m and the relay.

“I usually race the longer events, but I run anything from 400m to 3200m, and love the relays,” Storms said. “You get to run your leg with your teammates in mind and put all of your trust in your team knowing that everyone is also giving it their best efforts.”

With the winding-down of the school year and the winding-up of the track season, balancing homework and running can be a difficult combination, no more so than during a high-level (and high-stress) competition.

“Our race was on Thursday night at around 7:30, so we weren’t able to go to school on Thursday and Friday,” Lewis said. “I did kind of have a lot of schoolwork to do, but my teachers were pretty understanding and excited for me. I brought my school iPad and did my homework on the plane or whenever I had free time.”

In the end, the four returned home with special NBN backpacks, commemorative t-shirts and an 11th place finish, placing the Barrington running program among the top in the nation. The four attribute their success in what is usually an individual sport to the strength of their team.

“Running, especially relays, creates this bond that is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced,” Sirois said. “Not only are you trying to do your best, but you know your teammates are counting on you. The distance girls are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, and they are the reason I keep running.”