Where are they now?

Lily Werner, Print Features Editor

Kate Shectman:

Freshman in college at Marquette University

Ever wonder what happened to that girl that played volleyball or that one P.E. Leader you had for a couple weeks? If so, I have the answers and insights to the alumni that once roamed the same halls that you walk through every day.
Kate Shechtman was part of the graduating class of ‘18. She is currently a freshman at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Due to her love for kids, Shechtman is studying Elementary Education in order to help children learn just like her teachers helped her when she was younger.

“It is an amazing feeling when I am teaching to kids and seeing it finally click in their minds. My main goal for my future is to become a teacher that my students look up to and can trust,” Shechtman said.

However, in order to earn her Elementary Education undergraduate degree, Shechtman has to adapt to her new life in college. According to Shechtman, college greatly differs from high school but eventually becomes a refreshing new routine in life.

“College is a lot more independent,” Shechtman said. “In high school, your teachers tell you what your homework is and when you have a test, etc. But in college, you have to look online to see what’s due and when.”

Along with all the homework and projects that come with college, Shechtman likes to spend time working out (avoiding the freshman 15) or just hanging out with all the new friends she’s made so far.

After getting a taste of true freedom and independence, Shechtman began to really enjoy the beginning of her college experience. She believes that “high school is great but college has been even better.”

But as Shechtman said ‘hello’ to college and her new life in Milwaukee, she had to say goodbye to lifelong friends and family.

“Enjoy having all your friends in one place at one time,” Shechtman said. “I love college but I occasionally miss my buddies from back home especially knowing that they’re miles away.”