The RoundUp

• November 2TBA Girls V- Volleyball

PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Sam D'Angelo, Staff Writer

Imagine. It’s 8:15 AM on a sunny day. You’re walking down the hallway to your locker and your day is off to a great start. And then you see it. Two people pressed against a locker. Making. Out. Hardcore. You don’t want to get in the middle of it, so you end up, annoyingly, carrying your bag around for the rest of the day. I hate PDA, you think to yourself.

That’s me.

PDA is the worst.  I come to school to be exhausted — I mean to learn. And yeah, don’t get me wrong, a peck on your SO’s cheek or a goodbye hug is cute, but I didn’t involuntarily sign up to come here just to see two people perform a samba dance with their mouths in the hallway or gaze longingly into each other’s eyes. If I wanted that, I’d watch To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.

Let’s get into the why. Personally, I feel pretty uncomfortable when I witness people literally sucking faces in the hall – there’s a time and a place for that and, whenever that is, it’s for sure not at school. It disrupts the friendly atmosphere of the halls and, in my opinion, sexualizes the atmosphere and makes students in the area feel awkward.

I get it, couples want to demonstrate and make clear their love for each other and have contact with each other during the day. Again, though, there’s a line between what’s appropriate and what’s not, bot

h in school settings and in public settings. If people are making out in school, pinning each other up against lockers, etc., it crosses that line and is just plain off-putting.

And, I’m not alone in my discomfort.  According to a RoundUp 

poll of 258 people, roughly 41% of respondents are on my side, meaning they also dislike excessive PDA and while that may not seem like a lot, that’s 106 people. Many people commented on some variation of “PDA makes me uncomfortable.” So keep it short and sweet, lovebirds – you guys can “hang out” *cough – make out – cough* after school.

• Columnists

The life of an American teen: Dealing with demons

• Columnists

Current affairs: education from Tiegan

• Opinion

A deeper look into how blended classes positively impact students

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

Escaping ‘Borington’ in a couple miles

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

Not so scary movies

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

More than mispronounced

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

Playlist of the month

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

Positive peer pressures

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

100 words on water

• PDA in the hallways, please stop!

Opinion

Dear juniors, it’ll be alright

The Student News Site of Barrington High School
PDA in the hallways, please stop!